Which to get? the 2G version sounds good for the price
Join Today
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which to get? the 2G version sounds good for the price

My current monitor died and I am using a crappy backup monitor so I need this soon. I am fine with 60hz for now, as it sounds like we will be able to buy an upgrade to 120hz in the future?

I was first looking at the Shimian since they are a little bit cheaper than the catleap. I was looking for the 2G version since that can scale 4:1 to 720p? With no extra lag. 60hz will work great with most of what I will be doing. But for competitive fps I like 80hz+ since it really helps smooth things.

So right now how does this plan sound, buy a 2G version catleap monitor, then down the road upgrade to 120hz?

If you mean upgrade as in getting a replacement 2B board - It's not set in stone if they're going to be available. If you mean just buying a 120hz monitor later, yes but it's also not set in stone how many will be available. You may be waiting a long time for either one.

That is sort of what I expected I don't mind 60hz so I wouldn't care if I had to wait a long time for a replacement board or new monitor.

How do I make sure I get a 2G monitor so I know it will scale to 720p?

Thanks
    What is the whole "scale to 720p" issue? Are you trying to plug an xbox into these?
    ---i5-2500k @ 4.5 on air, Gigabyte GTX670, 8GB GSkill RAM, 240GB SSD---

Thanks
    I can confirm that the 60hz 2G indeed does *line double* to 720p and that both the Xbox 360 and PS3 will work on it (they do not work on the 2B at all, and its unconfirmed if future 120hz PCB's will support line doubling, no one has answered this). I tested lag responiveness vs the multi and 2B as well - it matches the 2B in responsiveness. I play console fighting games competitively so I wanted a lagless monitor I could use in high-res for PC and for consoles. I did notice that the 2G 720p input does look a bit more sharp/pixelated than the multi, because it is line doubling and does not do anything to soften the image - so how this affects your opinion is a matter of personal preference.

Thanks
    I didn't do anything to ensure what model I got, I had to take a chance and just ordered the cheapest Catleap SE I could get from bigclothcraft ($320) - it turned out to be a 2G and it works as I had hoped. No dead pixels or performance issues. But I can't overclock it at all, it seems - which I expected.

usly if u guys no thesenumbers are months in anoher word, months in which it was produced,afterthis month it'll probably be an h not a g, if u read forums u would no that 2b catkleaps don't exist anymore,v they just refer to it because that one month i think it was februrary code letter for month was b in serial number was overclockable version pcb that happen by accident they didn't even no, january-a feb-b march-c,apri-d.... that's all that issss

Quote Originally Posted by princemoonrise View Post
    I can confirm that the 60hz 2G indeed does *line double* to 720p and that both the Xbox 360 and PS3 will work on it (they do not work on the 2B at all, and its unconfirmed if future 120hz PCB's will support line doubling, no one has answered this). I tested lag responiveness vs the multi and 2B as well - it matches the 2B in responsiveness. I play console fighting games competitively so I wanted a lagless monitor I could use in high-res for PC and for consoles. I did notice that the 2G 720p input does look a bit more sharp/pixelated than the multi, because it is line doubling and does not do anything to soften the image - so how this affects your opinion is a matter of personal preference.
    can you provide a link of what specific cables you are using for your console to work on your 2G monitor?

Someone on another forum I frequent got their regular (non-Multi) Catleap to output the Xbox at 720p without issue. He just had to set 720p in the Xbox settings:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...2355&p=50#r981

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackOctagon For This Useful Post:

avengernoonzz (08-22-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOctagon View Post
    Someone on another forum I frequent got their regular (non-Multi) Catleap to output the Xbox at 720p without issue. He just had to set 720p in the Xbox settings:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...2355&p=50#r981
    Thanks. I have a PS3 and resetting the video options will result in no image on the screen but setting the PS3 on 720p before hand will work fine on the 2G Catleaps. Not the sharpest image when being close to the monitor but other than that it's awesome

Visitors found this page by searching for

catleap monitor noise

catleap 2g 720p